A free plugin for Live
This free Max For Live device outputs a SMPTE (LTC) audio signal with the current playback position of the active clip, taking warp markers and tempo changes into account to guarantee a time sync that is always aligned with the clip playback.
- Mac OSX only (for now)
- Ableton Live 9 or higher with Max For Live using Max 6.1.2 or higher.
- A separate audio output for the SMPTE output signal.
HOW TO USE
- Add a separate audio track to the Live set.
- To send the resulting audio timecode to an external destination, select this output in the ‘Audio To’ drop-down of your new track.
- Now add the ClipSMPTE plugin to this audio track.
- In the “Track to listen to” drop-down, choose which track you want the plugin to latch onto.
- Clips played in that track will now determine the SMPTE output time.
- Optionally,adding a time like +30 to the end of the clip name adds 30 seconds to the resulting SMPTE time.
Note 2: the plugin will start sending timecode audio immediately after adding it to the track, you probably don’t want the track routed to your speakers at a high volume.
Note 3: Not all timecode readers support non-linear timecode.
Tip: Time code from the arrange view: ClipSMPTE is developed to generate non-linear time code from the session view with dynamically changing clip tempos and positions. Using the arrangement view with linear time code is much easier: just play a waveform with pre-generated SMPTE. Here is an excellent tool that generates a waveform for you. Just drag the generated wavfile into your arrangement view (make sure it is not warped).